School visits, events and current information
- School meal newly updated menus now available - Week One this week. View the three week rotation of menus here. Don’t forget pupils can have a school-prepared sandwich bag (KS2 can choose which bread they want too!)
Reception and Key Stage One pupils have free school meals. They could have either a hot meal or a cold school-prepared sandwich bag lunch. All hot and cold menus are detailed on the school meals page along with Free School Meals letters. Reminder about Free School Meals - please complete a form if you think it applies to your family, even if your child(ren) are already receiving ‘free’ meals in KS1, as other funding may be available for school.
Free School Meals (2016)
- KS1 assessment information (Government produced parent leaflet) and KS2 assessment information (Government produced parent leaflet) [Year 2 and Year 6 parents may be interested]
- Barnado’s shop in Hednesford is offering ‘Back to Work’ voluntary opportunities. See Leaflet and email
- Last week, after much work by Miss Elwell and Mrs Morris, our school achieved Dyslexia Friendly Full Status. We have received an official logo to display in school.
- Summer Reading Challenge in local libraries. Mrs Fraser is advertising this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, that begins on Saturday 15th July in all Staffordshire Libraries. Studies carried out by The Reading Agency, show that children who read during the summer break maintain their literacy levels and are more school ready come the start of Autumn term. We hope you will encourage your children to take part in this year’s challenge. There are events taking place at Cannock Library over the summer – including a fantastic visit from ZooLab. We look forward to seeing the children in the local libraries this summer.
- ‘Thank You’ to the many parents and pupils who attended Open Evening. Another ‘Thank You’ from Mrs Fraser to people who discussed the website – your views are appreciated.
- Newsletter is published this week.
- School library is closed; all books should be returned. There are 85 missing!
- All guided reading books need to be returned as soon as possible please.
- On Monday and Tuesday, various year groups will watch Year 6 in their final rehearsals for their Leavers’ celebration (Hall or at St. John’s church).
- Year 4 have something planned on Tuesday afternoon?
- On Tuesday, Year 6 Leavers’ Celebration takes place at St John’s Church, 6pm, followed by buffet and party at school from 7.30pm. Tickets only. As we have an assault course and disco dome during the party, children will need an adult on site to oversee their activities.
- Year 6 have an SRE talk on Wednesday morning.
- At lunchtime on Wednesday, Year 6 pupils have a restaurant dining experience planned. The hall is ‘converted’ and staff act as servers. If eating a school lunch on that day, pupils need to pay £2.30 for the meal (hot or cold), but pupils do not need to buy the food to be included – just bring their normal sandwiches to the ‘restaurant’.
- Nursery Sports Day (9.30 to 10.30am) followed by their Teddy Bear Picnic takes place on Thursday morning, until noon.
- Year 6 pupils have a ‘Day of the Dead’ celebration on Thursday, linking with their Hola Mexico project work. They are dressing in a red and black theme and wearing decorated face masks.
- Achievement assemblies are on Friday morning – who will be ‘Star of the Year’ in each class? Karen Griffiths award too.
- School breaks up on Friday at 3.30pm, but Year 6 pupils will be allowed to leave with parents slightly earlier, as there will be no ‘prom’ vehicles allowed on school premises.
- Monday and Tuesday next week are our final Training Days for this school year. No pupils in school.
- We return to school on Tuesday 5th September, as Monday 4th is Training Day 1 for the new school year.
- Please remember our photo/video policy. At Gorsemoor Primary we are happy for parents and carers to take video and photos of school events for personal use, but we request that these images are NOT distributed or put online. This is to protect all members of the community. Some children are ‘at risk’ and MUST NOT have their images posted online; some pupils/staff have a complex family background and some people have religious or personal reasons for not wanting their images available on the internet.
- PTFA Grand Summer Draw prizes are available for collection. Check the list of prizewinners here
- Headlice advice and Threadworm advice from NHS website as parents may need guidance. (School Nurse contact and some medical leaflets/links are on our safeguarding page)
- As the weather turns warmer, can we remind you please to provide hats and sun screen for your children whilst at school.
- Sports Active released details of their Summer Holiday Multi-sports Club and Baby Ballers course, view here.
- Mrs Marvin, who started our after-school Sign Language Club, recently sent a very complimentary email to Mrs Heath. Click here to view.
- Active Kids vouchers from Sainsburys. This year’s scheme has finished. Thank you for your donations.
- Parents with access to ClassDojo may already be aware of some changes to our achievements. As the use of Monster Points has increased, having merits and house points as separate reward systems seemed a duplication. Staff are currently piloting a ‘tweak’ to our Behaviour Policy, basing more recognition on Monster points (Stars of the Week would receive 5 Monster points, a merit being equivalent to 3) and collecting ‘House points’ via a token system. Golden Time (a pupil choice of activity) has also been reintroduced. Alongside this is the ability to lose Monster points with a more formal reporting system to parents. Any parent viewing ClassDojo can see the points awarded or deducted from their child/children and contact class teachers as necessary.
- The National Association of Head Teachers has announced education issues - click here. The National Association of Head Teachers launched a schools funding report, ‘Breaking Point’, which presents findings of a recent survey. Full report here. It makes bleak reading. They are so concerned about the finances that they have set up a website where anyone can view projections for schools. CLICK HERE. Please take a look at the effect on our school and express concerns to your MP (Word doc) or sign the NAHT petition.
- Year 2 and Year 6 parents may be interested in this government document explaining National Curriculum tests and Videos explaining the tests.
- Introducing Work Routes, a programme designed to support residents of Cannock Chase District to get in to work. Information emailed to Mrs Heath by Advanced Personnel Management. Website here
- Our SENCo, Mrs Morris, frequently adds posters about relevant SEND and family matters
- Skillshare Understanding Attachment and Trauma course for parents
- NSPCC and O2 link for online safeguarding
- Mediation for separating and divorcing parents. Click here for website.
- PEP review changes
- Diabetes Type 1 poster - Is your child diabetic?
- Click here for rehab4addiction details.
- Click here for safeguarding LADO information and leaflet.
- Click for the Children’s Hospital Services leaflet
- SEND page
Find below Sports Clubs, Other Clubs, Other information, Farlea’s Kids Club, ‘We are collecting’, Music, Car Park and Safety reminders